Finding Subjects

    • Every sentence has a subject and a predicate.
      • My friend Jill ran to my house. 
      • Look for the verb.  
      • My friend Jill ran to my house. 
      • Ask, "Who or what" does this verb apply to. 
      • My friend Jill ran to my house.   
      • That, and any related parts, is your subject.  
      • Everything else is the predicate. 
      • My friend Jill ran to my house.  
      • More Examples:
        • Children are at play. ( Noun or noun phrase--no determiner) 
        • The child ran to the playground. (Noun or noun phrase with determiner)
        • Playing is a delight. (Gerund)
        • His constant playing was exhausting to witness. (Gerund phrase)
        • Whom to ask is a difficult question. (Infinitive)
        • That spring is glorious is known by everyone. (Full that clause)
        • Man is a giddy thing is often heard these days. (Direct quotation)
        • [You] Jump the hurdle! (Understood you)
        • It snows. (Expletive)  
        • It is known (that) spring is glorious. (Cataphoric)

No comments: